All Alex Monroe jewellery is made from solid sterling silver or gold-plated sterling silver with the exception of course, of our very special solid 18ct Goldcrest collection or all bespoke jewellery.
Below is a little explanation for the jewellery novice, as well as tips on how to care for your jewellery.
· Sterling silver in the UK is 92.5% silver and 7.5% other metals, usually copper. The copper
toughens the silver and makes it possible to use for jewellery.
· Sterling silver naturally tarnishes with the exposure to air and the environment as well as
perfumes, lotions & perspiration.
· Silver is susceptible to damage by chlorine and salt. Avoid wearing silver jewellery when using
chlorine or bleach, or while in a pool, hot tub.
· Pure gold is very soft which makes it unsuitable for most jewellery. To make it stronger, it is
alloyed with other metals.
· In the UK there are four, strictly enforced standards for gold jewellery, with regard to the
amount of pure gold they include.
These are 9ct, 14ct, 18ct and 22ct. Pure gold has 24 parts (carats) in 24 of gold, therefore
9ct gold has 9 parts of gold and 15 parts alloying metals and
18ct gold has 18 parts of gold and 6 parts of alloying metals.
· Our gold plating is a layer of gold on top of sterling silver. Alex Monroe Ltd. uses 22ct gold-plated sterling silver to give our jewellery the very distinct
warm yellow gold tone.
· Although solid gold or gold-plated jewellery will not tarnish like silver, it will get dirty with wear and chemicals, lotions, perfumes and moist
conditions will corrode it.
· Gold-plate may in time slightly fade depending on wear and the amount of care taken. This gives the appearance that some of the gold plate has
worn off. We do offer a full re-conditioning service for all Alex Monroe jewellery which lots of our clients use from time to time to keep their jewellery
in pristine condition. Please see details below.
Just like you, our beautiful jewellery does need to be looked after. We have compiled a list of hints & tips for you on how to care for your Alex Monroe jewellery, so it will look as lovely as the day you received it. Many customers continue to enjoy wearing their Alex Monroe jewellery after owning it for 25 years!
· Store your jewellery away from exposure to air/environment. A zip/lock plastic bag is a very practical and cheap way to do this. This will be
especially useful for silver jewellery, as it will cut down on tarnish significantly.
· Store your jewellery separately, so it doesn’t rub & scratch against each other.
· Acid free tissue is an excellent way to store the jewellery.
· Do not store jewellery next to heating vents, windowsills or in the bathroom. Damp and hot condition will cause the jewellery to tarnish badly.
· Skin and hair products can react, causing the silver to tarnish and erode the gold. Perfumes, lotions and creams will tarnish and corrode the
jewellery. Apply any scents or cosmetics before you put on your jewellery.
· Remove jewellery when exercising, cleaning, gardening or any other rough or physical work.
· Try not to wear it overnight.
· Hot weather, bright sunlight and perspiration can also speed up the tarnishing process and damage gemstones. Jewellery should always be taken off
before the pool, shower or sea.
· A Silver 'Dip' solution is a great way to clean silver jewellery, but always make sure the jewellery is rinsed thoroughly with water afterwards and the
instructions for the product are strictly followed.
· Take extra care when cleaning jewellery with gemstones & pearls and if unsure, do ask your local jeweller or contact us for further assistance.
· Gold-plated jewellery can be cleaned with warm soapy water and a really soft toothbrush. Then rinse thoroughly & dry well.
If you have any questions or queries feel free to get in touch. You can reach us directly by phone - 020 3117 0640 or by e-mailing - email@example.com
REPAIRS & RE-CONDITIONING SERVICE
If you’ve owned your Alex Monroe jewellery for some time and worn & loved it lots then the time may come when you would like us to give it a little TLC and bring back some of its original shine and sparkle.
We offer a full repair and re-conditioning service for all Alex Monroe jewellery in our London workshop, which is staffed by highly skilled craftswomen (yes, no men in our workshop, apart from Alex of course!)
Repairs such as broken chains or accidentally damaged jewellery can also be undertaken.
For any Alex Monroe 18ct Goldcrest or Bespoke, we suggest that your jewellery receives periodic professional maintenance. We can clean, polish and check any jewellery for damage such as accidentally knocked gemstones and loose settings.
Please feel free to contact us for a quote or send your repair, re-conditioning or annual maintenance request to:
LONDON SE1 3SU
TEL: 020 3117 0640
Please just package your jewellery up safely in its original box or some other sturdy packaging and post to the address above.
It's best to use Royal Mail Special Delivery to send jewellery – it’s an ensured and fast service. Remember to enclose a return address, telephone number & email address as well as a cover note detailing the repair request.
Please note that all repairs currently take approximately 4-6 weeks for completion.